2017 UC CELEBRATION
TUESDAY JULY 4TH | STANDLEY RECREATION CENTER
STARTING AT 7:30AM
Festivities will kick start with a 1 Mile Fun Run and 5K Race.
This will be followed up by the Pancake Breakfast (free for race participants). Following the refreshing walk/Run, Pancake Breakfast, (walk/run) participants can join the rest of the community to continue having fun at the Park by visiting various booths, and food stands, trying your skills in Rock Climbing or The Monkey Bridge or participating in the various field games held throughout the day.
Highlights of the event will include: Walk/Run event in the morning, the Pet/Bike Parade, Polynesian Dancers, family field games, free swim at Swanson Pool, and other festivities.
There will also be concert music by local groups performing at various time slots throughout the day.
We will have Beer and Wine Garden for Adults featuring local Micro Brew beer and assortment of wines.
Booths are available for rent. For more information, contact Standley Recreation Center staff at 858-552-1662 or visit the Recreation center office located at: 3585 Governor Drive, San Diego, CA 92122 for more information. Or email Jemma Semala at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder to our generous contributors and donors: We highly appreciate your past support. We are looking forward to your generous contributions and donations this year. Please contact Jemma at: email@example.com or mail your contribution to:
Contact Standley Park Recreation Council: UC Community July 4 Celebration Event; 3585 Governor Drive, San Diego, CA 92122
Book Barn Donations – UC July 4 Celebration at Standley Park is again seeking your donations for books, especially children’s books for 2017 event. Please, no textbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries, manuals, tapes of any kind.
Donations can be dropped off at 4315 Huggins Street before the event.
Thank you for your support. – Priscilla Hughes & Pia Mantovani-Sud
Would you like to volunteer?
UC Community thanks our neighbors and friends for their continued support in making the event a success!
Following are the areas where 2 hour Volunteers are needed:
- Beer Garden: (Open Noon to 7)– Must be 21 or older and must attend a training to help serve beer. June training date will be announced soon. If you cannot come to the training you could still help with either collecting money or checking I.D.’s.
- Children’s Area (open from Noon to 4): Rock Wall, Obstacle Course, Jumpers, Bungee Run ( All these areas require the ability to be on your feet for two hours and some activities are physically challenging). You must check in at the Volunteer Check in Area 15 minutes ahead of your assigned time.
- Field Games: These happen throughout the afternoon and include: Balloon Toss, Three Leg Race and Paper Airplane Building (no set time, you would be called to help from the stage).
- Set up: Prior to event starting at approximately 7:00 AM. Includes helping with stage set up, table and chairs set up for pancake breakfast and fill up water balloons. Also includes the placement of the books for the Book Barn. Immediately following the pancake breakfast some tables and chairs will need to be moved to the Beer Garden Area.
- Tear Down: At the close of the Event including cleaning up the park and tear down of the stage and Beer Garden area.
- Book Barn: Starting at about 9:30. Limited help needed here, most people are repeat volunteers and already in place. We will need people capable of lifting approximately 20 lbs to move the books into the Book Barn from the Recreation Center. Moving the books would take place about 8:30.
- Parking Lot Monitors: Should be adults. Monitors keep traffic in check in the parking lot. Allowing only vendors in and out or authorized persons. A list of vendors and authorized persons will be proved. We also need to monitor the parking lot in front of the swimming pool. The lot will be all Handicap parking for the day. The Parking Lot Monitors are provided with safety vest and clip boards and instruction on the day of the event.
- Pet and Bike Parade: two more volunteers needed here from 10:15 to 11:30. Participants in this area will guide children from Standley Middle School to the park area following the Standley Middle School Band.
- 5K Walk/Run and 1 Mile Fun Run: We need 25 Volunteers in this are to handle monitoring the run, registration and the start and finish line. Must arrive at the park by 7:15 to check in a volunteer desk and then go to Run Coordinator for assignment.